Thursday, August 31, 2006

August 31, 2006 column

I have enjoyed writing this column so far. I am grateful for the opportunity and love it when I hear or read feedback from you. It shows that you are reading, for which I am again, grateful. Whether feedback is positive or negative, it is just plain glad to see.

I want to clarify a few things that were brought up in reader feedback, specifically in the letter to the editor in last week's paper. When writing a column such as this, I can not target specific businesses, nor do I intend to do so. By definition, antiques mean old stuff, hence the word. I am not critical whatsoever of the concept of an antiques store, but rather of the concept of a town having created and maintaining the motif of an entire town's downtown business district as an antique dominated theme. This business model, in my opinion, deprives the local citizenry of a diverse downtown that would better attract the very people who live here.

I, too, was here a decade ago and remember what "uptown" was like. Poor planning and practices contributed to the plight of Selma's downtown, not the lack of antiques. There were then and are now, long standing businesses in town. Antique shops are not the savior concept for Selma. Business friendly practices were and are. I spoke out about it then on the radio, so no, I am not a little late with my comments. I have written extensively about this on the internet, as well.

Going back to my column in question, I commented favorably about the business friendlier practices the town is adopting, and am hopeful for more diversity in our downtown business district. I do believe that a more diverse business district will attract a more local, repeat customer base, rather than being dominated by out of town or state visitors.

I have not claimed that I don't go downtown at all, but only that there are not a lot of shopping interests for me. How do I know? I have visited "uptown" regularly for years, seen the stores and the merchandise offered. I am not in the market for old furniture or house wares, ergo there is little reason for me (or your average citizen in Selma) to visit many local businesses. This is not by any means a "slam" to those businesses. I encourage and applaud the entrepreneurship. Just remember that a business will either attract or deter visitors based upon the type of business. When a particular type of business dominates a downtown, that will in general, attract a niche type of customer and repel those not so interested. That was my point and is fact.

One part that gets personal in the letter to the editor deals with getting involved versus just talking about things. Well, in the interest of fairness and truthfulness, I do recall volunteering several times to serve on town committees under two different mayors and two different town managers, both in private, as well as in open council meetings. It is a matter of public record as well as published on the internet. I also seem to recall running for election to the Selma Town Council last year, which only four out of 6,600 residents of Selma were willing to do. I have also been writing regularly on the internet and now for this newspaper. I serve on a county committee and I contact some of my locally elected representatives regularly about issues. If that is not working to be one of the "some that do", I guess I don't know what would be considered to be so.

I do thank you all for reading, for your feedback, and encourage you to all become the "some that do". Make yourselves heard. Contact your local media outlets, your elected officials, and civic groups. If you disagree with a policy, program, or issue, speak out. I am glad that Ms. Wagaman spoke out and wrote to the editor. I can only assume that she is the same individual who left me feedback on my reader comment line. I encourage all of you readers to exercise that same freedom and speak out about the things that spark passion within you.

No comments: