Thursday, July 19, 2007

Column for July 19, 2007

Is the upcoming local political season too political?

Since long before I have been doing this column, I have been pleading with people to get involved in their communities and their government. I don't believe in just whining about the operations of our various levels of government. I believe in putting action to your beliefs.

I am glad to see that we have at least one man "stepping up to the plate" for the Selma mayoral race this year. I personally do not personally know William Overby, who at the time of this writing, was the only candidate to file for that office. Then again, two years ago, nobody really knew who I was, either. The filing period for November's municipal election closes this Friday.

Mr. Overby has publicly stated that he supports the town's efforts to hire a fire chief. I have publicly stated my position on the matter in this column, on the internet, and in private conversations both verbally and via email. I have gotten my share of hate mail over my position. Mr. Hester has gotten his share of hateful sentiments and actions aimed his way. I am convinced that the only reason that a cross was not burned on his front yard was because it would have been the fire department would have to put out the flames. As of this writing, Mr. Hester has not filed for re-election.

The town has posted employment ads soliciting applications for a new chief. I have looked at the job listing and have personally forwarded the position on to some people I know who are qualified for the position. I got a funny response from a friend of mine. He said, and I quote, "Thanks, but not interested…this one is way too political. Good luck in the search."

Here is what I know for sure. There are many fire departments that operate with a high degree of efficiency and morale under the proposed structure. I can personally attest to this, having worked under and around different structures in the past. Either way, it is my hope that the town officials continue to work for progress, accountability, and in the best interest of the citizens of Selma.

One thing probably not adequately explained is that the new chief's position does not pay $55,000 per year. That was the amount budgeted for the position. The position pays in the $44,000 to $46,000 range. An employee always costs more to hire and pay than just the salary, so the budget for the position, to include benefits and costs of having an employee come to $55,000. I only surmised this by reading the position description, seeing the salary, knowing the public information on that job, and having a basic understanding of economics.

Keep in mind that Selma officials do take decisions that affect those outside the town's jurisdiction. The fire department does serve the fire district, which includes areas outside the town limits. Those who live in the fire district do not have a vote or say in how the town runs its fire department, and rightly so, since it is a town department. However, there needs to be due consideration to all decisions taken and whom they affect.

The planning ordinances affect up to one mile outside the town in what is called the extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ). I personally take issue with the town being able to regulate those who live outside the town, are not town citizens or tax payers, and tell them what they can or can not do with their own properties. I doubly take exception to any town here in the county being able to extend that reach of power to two miles. However, that is another subject for another day.

Another way that town officials affect those outside of the town is with annexation. The town will be considering a voluntary annexation request. I am all for voluntary annexation. When it is against the will of property owners, with minor exception, I take umbrage and make an issue of it. This has been and will again be a hot button issue.

The town's elected officials have turned around budget woes, have begun to work on some hot potato (or potatoe, if you are Dan Quayle) issues, and have garnered regional attention as a result. By Friday afternoon, we will find out who will perhaps be carrying the baton of local government in Selma, as well as other municipalities here in Johnston County. Keep reading this newspaper and column for more.

No comments: