Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Column for Oct. 11, 2007

As good as warm mashed potatoes or rotten tomatoes?

When you stick your head above the crowd, sometimes you get some tomatoes thrown at you. Sometimes you simply enjoy the view. I sometimes get to do both. This week I got my share of both. The tomatoes I get are usually people who have never actually read anything I have written with comprehension, either in this column or on the internet. Most likely, they have not listened to my talk show, either.

I have had the good fortune of being able to write this column for over a year now, and have been afforded several opportunities I would not normally have. One pleasurable such recent opportunity was to meet many of my readers at Selma's Railroad Days and get feedback from them. I can not count the number of people who came up to me and said that they read this column each week. For that I am grateful and humbled. I was warmed by the kind words spoken to me. Sometimes I wonder if people are actually taking the time to read, and the feedback I received did my heart good. People from here in Selma, from just outside of Selma, as well as people from Goldsboro, and even Virginia took the time to talk to me and comment upon this weekly excursion into the rantings of an ordinary guy with opinions that took advantage of a more than ordinary opportunity to write. Thank you, each and every one of you, for reading.

One thing about Railroad Days that I personally would like to see is a return to the theme of the railroad and Selma's heritage of being a railroad town. There is nothing wrong with a street fair, but I had people from out of town ask me if I knew where the railroad exhibits and railroad themed stuff was. Quite honestly, I did not know. For future reference, I was told that the Jernigan Building and Union Station both had railroad exhibits. I know that the railroads play an ever dwindling role in transportation in America, but since I live less than a block from the tracks, I have a hard time forgetting that we are still a railroad town. Another person asked me where the spike driving competition was being held. Quite honestly, I could not answer that one, either, since I did not bring my event brochure with me. I probably need to do so next year.

I am not criticizing the event; I would just like to see more of it and its theme. Our Parks and Recreation staff work hard at making the event a success, and this year was no exception. I was pleased to see the crowd. The live band at the intersection of Railroad and Raiford Streets was very enjoyable. I was singing and dancing right along with many of their cover songs. I am still singing "She's a Brick...House" in my head as I write this column, since that song started the second music set after the intermission. The food smells were exquisite along Railroad Street. I love to watch people. I have always been observant of the different sizes, shapes, colors, apparel, and attitudes of people as they walk around.

One interesting thing about watching the parade is the number of "beauty queens" that participate. There is Miss Junior Miss This, Little Miss That, Miss So and So Realty, Miss Railroad Days, Teen Miss Queen, Junior Miss Queen, Little Miss Queen, Tiny Miss Queen, Teeny-tiny Miss Queen, Toddler Miss Queen, Newborn Miss Queen, and Embryo Miss Queen. Each was practicing their rotating wrist beauty queen wave to perfection.

At least at a sizable event like Railroad Days, we get to see some of our County Commissioners, Clerk of Court, State House Representatives, and even our Congressman. It has been a long time since I got to say hello to Leo Daughtry or Tony Braswell. Hey guys, come around more often. I am sure some of us would love to talk to you more. I know that I would.

Of course, no parade in Selma would be complete without tractors. You have to put tractors in a parade, as long as they are before the fire engines. The good thing about dragging out the John Deeres and Farmalls is that unlike horses, they don't leave gifts in the middle of Raiford Street.

For those of you who have contacted me about the column, I thank you, even those of you (and there have been a couple) who had negative feedback. As a side note, for those of you who do choose to leave a negative opinion via email, voice mail, or other means, you will get a lot better results if you don't just hurl baseless accusations, spread rumors, call names, cravenly hide behind anonymity, or just ignore the facts. Just a thought.

No comments: