Thursday, November 15, 2007

Column for Nov 15, 2007

What part of "NO WAY" don't they understand?

I wanted to start out this week with a correction of a typographical error in last week's column. It was pointed out to me that the figure of 1% was supposed to read 10%, something I overlooked. Spell check and proof reading doesn't always catch errors like that. To make the matter worse, as I was writing the column, I looked back over what I had already written for a reference of my earlier statistic and referenced the typo. I chuckle over the mistake, but at the same time, I kick myself for making it. Hey, at least I admit when I make mistakes. If I am willing to be vulnerable to making them publicly, I had better be ready to admit it publicly. And thank you to those of you who pointed out the error. I would have missed it myself yet again in just reading over my column later. Before I even got my copy of the paper in my mailbox, I got emails pointing out the typo. Wow, y'all are quick, and very little gets by some of you. That is a good thing.

OK, back to my regularly scheduled programming. On more than one level, I was happy with the election results from last week. The one outcome for which I was thrilled was the resounding "No. Nix. Nyet. Nein. Fuhgedaboudit!" vote against the land transfer tax and one quarter cent sales tax increase referendum items. The vote was not even close. It went down in flames most everywhere it was on the ballot to the tune of seventy to 90 plus percent against the idea of tax increases. You would think that if sixteen counties soundly defeated the referendum items that the idea would be dead. Not in North Carolina or with liberal spenders. For them, it is "Yes. Si. Oui. Absolutely. I'll be back." Think "Rocky" and "The Terminator" for those last two.

I have heard several reports from the very day after the referendum was defeated that state and local officials are vowing to keep pushing the agenda until it passes. That means that we have to keep saying NO each and every time. It only takes one time to say yes. It does not seem to matter that a minimum of seven out of ten people have said that they are not for funding growth related needs in this manner.

I was in Greenville a few times this last week and saw one sign still standing along the side of the road saying to support the quarter penny increase for school construction. My understanding is that Pitt County did actually vote in favor of that increase, as did four other counties full or dullard voters, whereas it was soundly defeated here in Johnston County. Could the reason possibly be that we just voted a $90 million dollar bond and have seen sales taxes increase over the past several years? Even here in Selma we have seen a local five cent increase in property taxation. I would say that those had a bearing on the vote. I also believe that people are darn tired of having the complete burden for all of these growth and school items placed on the shoulders of the property owners. We are taxed on our income. With that taxed income, we buy a house in which to live. We are taxed every year on the house. When we sell that house, the thought of paying yet more tax upon a taxed investment payed for with taxed dollars is a repulsive and unethical notion.

It would be one thing if North Carolina did not already have the highest gas tax in the Southeast, a state income tax, and a property tax on top of that. In a few states, there are high property taxes but the corollary is that there is not a sales tax or income tax. Here we have all of them. North Carolina is becoming the "Taxachussets" of the South. Sure, we need to pay for growth some how, but I thought that growth was supposed to be a good thing and pay for itself. We are constantly being told that is what we need to increase the tax base. Yet we end up paying for growth rather than the growth paying us dividends, it seems. Something is seriously wrong with that concept.

I guess it would be too simple to look at profligate spending as a problem instead of a lack of revenue stream. Here in Selma, some simple things such as cutting spending went a long way in controlling our budget, even if we did have a corresponding tax increase. If we can do it on the local level, so can the county and state. Instead of myopic leaders in the state and county governments wanting to ramrod yet another tax burden down our throats until we swallow, it would make more sense to deal wisely with the monies coming to them at present. That should be normal fare, but apparently it is an afterthought to raising taxes. Does anyone run their own household that way? Some do and have ended up in bankruptcy court as a result. We can not collectively afford to do the same. No government ever taxed its way into prosperity.

No comments: