Thursday, July 03, 2008

Column for July 3, 2008

A trilogy on the Strategic Plan. Will there be another sequel?

I resisted the urge to write about the Selma budget, the recent Supreme Court rulings, and a few other things of interest to me. I figured that I would keep on track with my column and continue with the Strategic Plan critique only because there are a lot of things worthy of consideration for the future of Selma.

When I lived in Raleigh well over a decade ago, I had a pastor who used to live and preach here in Selma in a church he founded. I remember him telling me how people in Selma tended to be stiff-necked and rebellious. I filed that information in my memory bank for later use.

So is the opening of chapter three of Selma's Strategic Plan. "…there is a perception of the town that is less than favorable within the county and area as a whole." After talking to more people over the years, I have found this to be true of Johnston County in general and even more so of Selma. Some of the stereotype (as with all stereotypes) has some basis in truth, some of it fallacious.

Selma does have a reputation for being a high crime, drug infested town. We have a reputation for having a lot of illegal immigrants and low class of residents. A lot of that can be attributed to the high percentage of rental housing in the town, I am sure. We have a reputation for having a lot of dilapidated houses. Some of these things have been worked on by the town council. Right or wrong, these are the perceptions the town faces.

One quote I chapter 3 is "…it has been determined that Selma is visited by travelers off the interstate as well as others that drive in from one or two hours away. The missing demographic is local area residents. The primary reason for this is reputation." Sorry, but this is entirely false. The reason is that Selma has a theme for a downtown shopping district; antiques. I go downtown to visit town hall, a restaurant or two, a thrift store once in a blue moon, for civic meetings, the post office, dry cleaning, and a pharmacy. Seldom do I have the need for an antique store. I have visited several of the downtown antique merchants when shopping for something specific I will not find at my local department store, such as a gift or a desired item. I try to visit a different dealer each quest and usually find what I am looking for somewhere. I may not spend a lot of time or money, but I try. The truth is, however, that the majority of residents around here just are not in the market for antiques and that is what we have in abundance.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this concept. I simply do not shop at stores that do not offer what I want and I do patronize stores more often that do. Ergo, I visit Wal-Mart more often than I do antique stores. That is how the marketplace works.

Because of this truth, I find naïve the statement, "The Town Councilmembers and management of the town should be asking themselves, have I shopped in every business downtown? If there is a special event such as birthdays, weddings, graduations, etc. do I buy gifts in Selma?" If the answer is no, then why not?" The typos were actually in the report, and are not mine. My answer is that not everyone on my gift list wants old stuff. It sounds simple, but it is true. That is part of owning an antique store. I owned both a bookstore and a vending business for years. If people wanted video games instead of books or fresh sub sandwiches instead of candy bars, they spent their money elsewhere.

There was a tea room that failed miserably in this town. It was because of a poorly run business and having products nobody wanted, not because of a lack of support. A new restaurant is in that same space and is flourishing. That is because the owner offers what people want during convenient hours and at a price people are willing to pay. That is just plain business and simple economics.

The report talks about the appearance of the town at its entrance points. It discusses that the entrances at the interstate and from various other routes are less than attractive. Exit 97 looks like a typical interstate interchange. It is partially true that appearance may be a factor in failing to attract visitors or residents. We do have a cemetery, a propane dispensing facility, a repair garage, a trailer park, a gasoline pipeline tank farm, and the like as entrance ways to the town. However, there is not a heap big amount we can do to change those things. I wish we could.

There was another interesting quote in chapter three. "It is imperative that the boards and commissions have more diversity and representation of all the citizens of Selma. There should be an effort to recruit for these boards to balance the representation." I actually agree wholeheartedly with this quote. The only problem is overcoming the apathy of the many. There is a perception that a few handle a lot of the town affairs; that a select few are maintaining control in the town. I have heard this numerous times and I also have this same feeling, myself.

There are over 36 pages in the report and I am only on page 12. Out of these dozen pages, I have gotten three columns worth of commentary and critique. I still have all sorts of notes I took in the margins and in the text of the report, but I only have so much space each week in which to compose. I will be happy to personally offer a forum whereby town officials, committee members, and the public can discuss this further, make explanations, ask questions, etc. Of course my personal feedback is always available upon request.

No comments: