Monday, July 20, 2009

Column for July 16, 2009

It is almost hard to believe, but this column makes three whole years of writing "LaPlante's Rants" here in "The Selma News". Over the past few weeks, I have been overwhelmed with a heart of gratitude and have been thanking God for his many blessings. I consider the opportunity to have been able to write my opinions and have people actually read them as one of those abundant blessings. I am grateful not only to God almighty, but also to Rick Stewart, the newspaper's editor, for his confidence in an ordinary guy and his offering me an extra-ordinary opportunity.

I appreciate being able to write things that are "positive" once in a while. Over a year ago, I got to share about a positive experience I had with the staff of Johnston Memorial Hospital, now Johnston Medical Center. Quite honestly, when I first heard about that name change, I was dubious as to its efficacy. I understood the reason behind the name change, since the hospital wanted to re-brand itself and change its image. The hospital wanted to grow into a quality medical center rather than be considered just a Podunk county hospital.

The change to Johnston Medical Center was actually indicative of an internal change. A year and a half ago, I had pancreatitis and was a patient in JMH for almost a week. A close personal friend of mine ends up in JMH regularly for treatment. In December of last year, my wife was dehydrated from symptoms of early pregnancy. Just a month or so ago, I was in a serious automobile wreck but was relatively unharmed (yet another blessing). I still went to JMH for treatment rather than going to Wake Medical Center, which was actually a few miles closer to the scene. On Monday, my wife and I went to the Women's Pavilion for the birth of our newborn son.

I am going to give credit where credit is due. Johnston Memorial Hospital has been transformed in some ways we can not otherwise see. In each of the aforementioned instances, the staff has been more attentive, more friendly, more professional, and treated people like they are people and not just a number or a source of revenue. In times past, while seeing friends and family being treated at that facility, I did not find the customer service to be all that great, much less the level of care administered. The staff has actually done a lot internally to enhance the medical center's image, starting with those very issues. The level of care and just plain customer service have come a long way since I first moved to Johnston County a dozen years ago from Raleigh.

Their efforts have not gone unnoticed, and I have made it known to their management that I have indeed noticed such things. Just like when I am at a restaurant, I believe that if I am willing to complain about bad service or bad food, I had better be willing to compliment when I get outstanding service or food. I have literally scared waitresses at dining establishments by asking to talk to a manager when I get outstanding service. The poor waitress usually has no idea why I called for a manager until after my meeting with the boss. After I speak to a manager, I always explain that if I am willing to complain, then I had better be willing to compliment. I feel no different when dealing with co-workers or even with hospitals. JMH has come a long way from the bad service and quality of care that I remember.

In the Women's Pavilion, I got to talk to the unit's director and pass along my compliments to not only her operation but to the hospital as a whole. I expressed my gladness for these changes, which will go much further to change a reputation than advertisements on the radio or a name change. The personal touches we received today were indicative of a tremendous change in philosophy that I have witnessed in other areas of the entire hospital's operation. I am honored to report something very positive for Johnston County and for those who have worked hard at bringing a much better medical environment to the area. That is one thing for which I am thankful, and is to be counted among the many other blessings in my life.

No comments: