Sunday, April 24, 2011

Column for April 21, 2011

I am sure that the headlines and lead stories of this and other weekly newspapers will be full of information about the recent tornadoes that ripped through North Carolina last Saturday. I always thought it odd that my high school mascot was a Golden Tornado. Since that area has probably never seen a tornado, I doubt that they have any first hand knowledge of the weather phenomenon. They get blizzards and the occasional small earthquake, but no tornadoes. As a matter of fact, my mother was with us during the recent tornado event and got to ride out her first one ever. Having lived in North Carolina for the majority of my life now, I have seen first hand the force of tornadoes, especially ones that result from hurricane activity. Then again, North Carolina’s NHL team is called The Hurricanes. Go figure.

I struggle sometimes with tragedy, just as most people do. Sure, I have plenty of head knowledge of Biblical explanations and about the attributes of God. However, I don’t thoroughly comprehend the reason why some people are injured or killed and others live. I don’t always understand why some people had their homes destroyed and others were unscathed. I will nonetheless consider myself and my family to be fortunate that we were spared all but a few limbs having fallen from my old pecan tree in my back yard. I am grateful for our safety and my heart cries out for others who were not so fortunate at the same time.

When we saw the devastation in the gulf states as a result of Hurricane Katrina, the tsunami in Indonesia several years ago, the earthquake in Haiti, and the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, I am sure that we all had heavy hearts. Local businesses and charities are working hard to serve people affected by our own local storm. In North Carolina, we are accustomed to emergency response to natural disasters, since we are one of the most hurricane prone areas in the world. I have no doubt about the capabilities of our emergency service workers around here. Their courage and devotion to duty has always been outstanding.

I have pondered how I can be of greater assistance, as well. I figure if I can at least share some ways in which the general public can help, that is a minute thing I can do. I plan on doing more, but I can at least devote a column to the information. There are two organizing efforts I know of personally and know the people involved personally, so I would like to share them.

A local restaurant, Foodies At Heart, in downtown Selma will serve as a drop off point for items to be donated to storm victims. They are right across the street from Creech’s Drug store at 127 North Raiford Street. I have not gotten any more details at the time of this writing, so I encourage you to stop by, email, or call them. Their phone number is 919-414-8856 and their email address is foodiesatheart@yahoo.com.

A warehouse full of clothing and household items is opening to provide free goods for Johnston County residents who had storm losses. Basic Needs Ministry’s clothing closet and thrift sales area welcome residents with referrals from Johnston County churches, schools, social service agencies, and nonprofits who provide basic services for those in need. The public charity’s warehouse is at 5533 NC Hightway 42 in Suite D96 (the backside of Peddler’s Village). I personally know and recommend the man who runs that organization. Call 919-661-6565 to get answers to any questions about Basic Needs Ministries.

I wish that I had all the answers to the question, “Why?”, but I don’t. I do know that our response to such events are just as, if not more important. That goes for not only our heart’s reaction, but also to our humanitarian activities. I strongly encourage all readers to consider how you can help the victims of the tornadoes that hit our region. The storms affected our own friends, family, and acquaintances in different ways.

I firmly believe that this is our responsibility first and not necessarily that of especially the federal government. James Madison, one of the primary writers of the document said, “I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” That is our job as friends, family, Christians, and citizens.

No comments: