Thursday, March 15, 2012

More whining in response to my column of March 1, 2012

This letter was in today's "The Selma News".  I found it amusing that the author didn't really sign the letter but rather wrote on behalf of the "organization".  Still, he/she dwells upon minutia.  The minutia was not the main point.  As to "not acceptable", it is not up to the organization to determine public opinion and acceptability.  Period.  I have eyeballs and the point about tiara wearing heifers is occasionally valid.  I laugh about the comparison to NFL teams.  There is no comparison, considering that one is a pageant and one is professional football on a national stage and private industry.  A proper parallel can not be drawn.  It can, however, be drawn to representation by elected officials who carry the title of representing a particular geographical region.  NFL teams are businesses that can be and are often relocated.  A congressman, in by way of example, is always representing his/her district. 

As to the pageant rules being published prior to the pageant, yeah...and...  Again, the actual geography outside of JoCo is irrelevant and minutia.  My point transcends just the Miss Johnston County pageant.  It was merely one example, and my opinion also extends to the Miss Railroad Days pageant, as used as an example in this letter.  By the way, my point about heifers with tiaras was not specific to the Miss North Carolina pageant.  Here is the actual comment.  "Each and every year, I have seen bunches of pageant winners here in Johnston County, especially making appearances in Christmas parades across the county.  Some are beautiful young ladies.  Some are heifers with tiaras."

Whether they love me or hate me, they are reading. And yes, I still stand by my column.

No comments: