Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I'm fired.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Sept 13
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012
From: Rick Stewart
To: Troy LaPlante


Troy,
In a perfect world small businesses like mine would not have to worry about
economic pressures. But they do exist and they are real.

I have pushed back as long as I can. I have several major advertisers in the
community who told me "in finality" last week that if I continue to run your
column they will no longer support the paper.

It would be great if I could tell them I don't need their support. But the
truth is The Selma News would have to fold without the support of these
advertisers.

While I don't always agree with what you have written, I have believed in
your right to say it. I've taken a lot of heat for some of your columns and
that's OK.

When advertisers tell me they will pull their advertising, I could tell them
to take a hike, but that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. The
end result would be no local newspaper. I regret it has come to this. But,
this is where it is and I have to make the hard decision to discontinue your
column for the survival of The Selma News.

You've been a faithful columnist and I think you've brought to light many
topics that otherwise would not have been discussed publicly.

I thank you for your time and effort in crafting your columns each week and
being so faithful to get them in on time.

I wish you well in all that you do.

I also ask you not to make an issue of this in your other media outlets. I
can see that no good would come from that for either of us. While it might
make us both feel better, I think the result would continue to be the same.

I'm fighting for the economic survival of the newspaper in very difficult
times. Getting into a mud-throwing contest with the advertisers would have
the same effect for me as continuing to run your column.

Sincerely,
Rick

No comments: