Thursday, August 17, 2006

August 17, 2006 column

Here I am listening to my new iPod and debating which way to go with the column. I finally entered the yuppie techno world. I have a list of worthy topics on which to comment. I also realize that timeliness of the topic is important. So I have elected to comment on a few of the recent local happenings in the town.

I try to attend as many town council meetings as possible. I usually hear after the fact that the occasional one I miss always seems to have been great for entertainment value. This past meeting was entertaining to me personally, but at the same time, it was positive for the town.

One of the items handled was the council's decision to put off pursuing a railroad "quite zone" in Selma. I have written rather poignantly about this in previous months on the internet and in letters to the editor of this paper.

Since Selma is in a stage of budget constraints, staff reductions, and the like, pursuing the issue would be inappropriate at this time. There are other issues about this particular matter that I have addressed already and won't take up valuable print space for again. However, it will suffice to say that our mayor and two councilmen made the right decision to stop wasting time and nix this issue right now. Mayor Hester, Councilman Jackson, and Councilman Weaver, you have my personal gratitude for putting this matter to rest and not drawing it out any further.

Another issue that you will find reported in this week's paper is the decision by the Town Council to amend the business customer utility deposit policy in Selma. If Selma is going to recruit and keep businesses in town, this is the right direction for us. The idea behind the policy change is to encourage business growth and entrepreneurship in town.

Quite honestly, I have considered opening a shop in Selma. Hefty utility deposits would contribute to making me consider other options. Oh, that and the fact that I don't have the capitol budget needed. We give big breaks to big business to lure them to town. We also need to consider the small business owners who make "uptown" a destination place, as well as any other areas serviced by our utilities. The idea of being punitive in deposits for utility service for property and business owners because of the patterns of customers who are residential renters is unfair and just bad business. I am glad to see that the Council is heading in the right direction.

I personally don't go into "uptown" for much for shopping, since I am not in the market for old furniture or house wares. For the average citizen in Selma, the concept of keeping an "Antique Mecca" is not the most useful one. I may support my local pharmacy and restaurant. Other than that, I don't shop in "uptown" much. It is my sincere hope that the utility deposit coupled with a paradigm shift that I can only wish for in Selma will help this town develop into a thriving business community.

Almost but not quite changing topics, here is something for the town's consideration in the quest for the continuation of finding places to save money while working on the town's image.

Christmas is a special time of year, and the town usually decorates the town with utility pole ornamentation and strings lights throughout town. Most people take down Christmas decorations following the holiday. It is a stereotype that "rednecks" and "undocumented workers" (to use the politically correct term) leave their Christmas lights running all year long.

If we are trying to save money and create a positive image for the town, why is Selma spending money on Christmas lights all year? We seem to be taking away from the special time that we consider Christmas to while perpetuating a stereotypical image for Selma. It is a bad public relations move to lay off workers, cut budgets, levy hefty "fuel surcharges" on our utility bills (undisclosed rate hike) and then spend money on unnecessary Christmas lighting all year long.

No comments: