Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Column for August 16, 2007

Because I am an American, THAT'S why!

I take exception to those who come into this nation illegally. When someone comes into my home through the window instead of a doorway, I consider him an intruder and I deal with the uninvited individual. I don't instead offer for him to live in my home, eat my food, get medical help, have an education, and give him cash to send to his family who lives elsewhere. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe in defending the right to free speech. I do not believe in giving my time to those who wish to waste it with the use of their free speech to spew their lunacies that espouse principles that will take away my own freedom. Instead, I believe in counteracting their idiocy with truth. Why? Because I am an American.

I don't believe in pressing 1 for English or in paying for other languages to be printed on government documents that I help pay for. I believe in pursuing the dream of being a fellow countryman in the language that has been used here for four hundred years and that the vast majority of residents use every day. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe in hard work instead of lazily relying upon the rest of society to supply money upon which to exist. I believe in charitable benevolence, but only for those who can not do for themselves rather than those who will not do so for themselves. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe in reading and understanding the history of this nation and the supreme laws upon which it was framed. I believe that if we are to operate under a set of rules, it is wise to be familiar with the rule book. I believe in following the rule book and not making up rules as we go along. I believe that Congress, the Supreme Court, and the President should follow the rule book, too. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe in keeping taxes as low as possible and not take more than is necessary to run the government as lean and efficiently as possible. I believe that individuals know better how to spend their money, raise their children, and contribute in charitable giving than any government bureaucracy. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe in owning guns not just to defend a home, but to help defend a nation. I believe that the reason we have a right to keep and bear arms is to throw off tyranny and repel invasion. I believe in exercising the right to own arms because we can, if for no other reason. I believe that if we are not vigilant in keeping guard on such freedoms that we will lose them. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe that there is a reason behind the verbiage "all enemies foreign and domestic". I believe that there are those who do not hold the same values that the rest of Americans have held since our continent was being settled. I believe that we must first counteract their error with truth and reserve the right I just mentioned as a last resort. I believe that we have many enemies that are domestic. Many were foreign, but have become a domestic problem. Many are and always have been domestic. I believe that they must be resisted so that we can maintain the greatness of this nation. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe that people should let their opinions be made known to their elected representatives. I made sure that our county school board members and county commissioners all got a copy of my last column. I email, fax, and write my Congressmen, state representatives, and state senators about legislation and issues that affect us as citizens and for which I have a passion. I believe that every citizen should shake off their apathy and do the same. Why? Because I am an American.

I believe that if you disagree with the opinions that I just shared that you wrong, don't know what America is all about, and probably are part of the "enemies…domestic". I also believe that you have every right to believe as you do and I will defend your right to believe and say so. Why? Because I am an American.

No comments: