Thursday, August 23, 2007

Column for August 23, 2007

Remembering the purpose of government

I have been doing a lot of reading on early American history as of late. I am a part of a small group of men who have formed what is being called "The Patriots' Pub" (on the internet at www.patriotspub.us). The purpose of the group is to lay out the foundations of history in this country that led up to the writing of the United States Constitution. This has been a great refresher for me, since this is a period of history that does not seem to be taught in depth any more. There are so many people who have never been taught about the origins of the Constitution, of the nation, about the reasons for independence, and the reasons for the guarantees written into the Constitution.

One thing about being a part of The Patriots' Pub is that we have a ground rule to follow. We do not allow political commentary about history; we only present the facts as we have found and researched them to be. The words of any opinion will be quotes from those men of the time. This does a great service to the presentation and project. The frustrating part is that I can't offer commentary on the parallels between those days and today. When we read the state of affairs, the oppression tactics of the British crown, the taxation, and the control exhibited by a government upon its citizens, I am amazed. It has often been said that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I have had numerous conversations with other people who are even outside of the United States, who have the right sense about the purpose of government. One thing that we all agree upon, whether Christian, agnostic, or otherwise, is the purpose of government. To put things into perspective from several views, in Thomas Paine's pamphlet "Common Sense", published in January of 1776, Paine wrote, "Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher. Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil." I have been reading some of Paine's writings in preparation for more presentation in my group.

From a Christian perspective, the Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 13, "For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil."

One thing that I totally agree with the deist, Paine, as well as Paul, is that government is supposed to be an entity that serves society and is necessary for the punishment of evil. Lately, I have seen the government at various levels punish those who do right. Whether that punishment is via taxation, unjust laws, or a lack of regard for what is righteous and ordained of God, we have often lost the purpose of government.

I encourage each and every one of you to investigate history. Do some reading of your own, and be a responsible citizen. This may seem like a simple admonition and a boring one, but quite honestly, I am amazed at the lack of knowledge being shared in our schools and possessed by the general populace. I have learned more by reading on my own and sharing with other people than I was ever taught in school. This tells me that there is a difference between going to school and being educated. I was amazed at how much I either forgot or was never taught to begin with. If you have internet or library access, there are plenty of resources available, and therefore no excuse for a lack of knowledge. I make none for wherein I have been lacking and endeavor to remedy that. I hope you will, as well.

No comments: