Thursday, September 11, 2008

Column for Sept. 11, 2008

There are some things for which our sheriff should not apologize

The past couple of weeks, I wrote about Selma becoming a third world nation, being a microcosm of the entire United States. This is reflective of what the US will become if we do not get a handle on immigration issues amongst other things. I shared some feedback from column readers and have even gotten more in the mail since last week. Thanks to all who wrote, by the way.

Apparently, our county sheriff agrees with me and has taken some heat for his impassioned stance. Steve Bizzell has been under fire for saying that "Mexicans are trashy" and that the illegal immigrant population is "breeding like rabbits". Steve is not alone in his thoughts.

Sheriff Bizzell did apologize for his comments, which were made in an interview with a large regional newspaper based in Raleigh, the name of which, like Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies, can not be spoken (or in this case, written). He said, "I made broad statements that reflected on the legal and law-abiding Hispanic population – that was never my intention".

Obviously, I personally have made comments in this very column that reflect the same thoughts of some immigrants being "trashy". I make no apologies for that, nor should I. As Forrest Gump might say, "My mamma always says, trashy is as trashy does." Believe me when I say that there are trashy people who are kin to me. Trashy is a behavior, an attitude, and often is embedded in a culture. Unfortunately, many Hispanic immigrants to the United States bring their third world culture and ways with them, refusing to assimilate into the American culture. Furthermore, they often carry a blatant disrespect and disregard for America, seeking only to benefit from her hospitality and liberality offered them here rather than taking responsibility for the welfare of their new communities.

In Sheriff Bizzell's apology, he did say that he did make broad statements. Like Steve, I do not have a problem with law abiding and legal immigrants. I don't care where they are from or what they look like. All I care is that they come here legally, abide by our laws, and do not trash our country. One particular Hispanic advocate, however, is livid with Sheriff Bizzell's words, even saying he "wants his badge".

The call for Bizzell's resignation is out of line, but that is what I expect from selfish people. Being an advocate for illegal immigrants is like lobbying for the right to drive while intoxicated, in my opinion. There is always a self-interest in such advocacy.

This summer, I got the opportunity to meet with the founder of the Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee and with the founder of The Minuteman Project. I joined these two men for a morning of lobbying lawmakers in Raleigh to support an agenda that is hostile to illegal immigration. That day, I also got to meet representatives from two different organizations that were founded by Hispanics and vehemently oppose illegal immigration.

Like the advocate who wants Sheriff Bizzell's badge for his comments, Roan Garcia-Quintana is an immigrant from Cuba whom I had the pleasure of meeting. Roan works with the organization "Americans Have Had Enough!" which is on the internet at americanshavehadenough.org. Roan is a legal immigrant, now living in South Carolina. He has been very active in state government there and has been elected to the SC Legislature. Another man I met is Lee Nieves, from the Charlotte area, who is a Hispanic man affiliated with the organization "You Don't Speak for Me", found on the internet at dontspeakforme.org. They are both staunch advocates for sealing the American borders and coming down hard on illegal immigration. They believe just like Sheriff Bizzell that the American culture is being polluted by illegal immigrants, that illegal immigrants do not belong here, that our society is in danger from the increased crime by these people, and that they are multiplying like rabbits.

Sheriff Bizzell, I have read your comments. I have read your apology. I have read the comments on the internet by web readers of the publication in which you were quoted. I agree that your initial comments may have been broad, but trashy is as trashy does. Your eyes simply bear testimony to what is. That is the bottom line. You see more of it than most citizens, since you deal with the crime problems, help with deportation, and have a responsibility for the public well being.

Steve, I have been one of your strongest advocates for years. That is not to say that I agree with all of your decisions. I personally have one issue with you, feeling that you violated the United States Constitution on a few things. That is a major issue in my view, though overall I think your job performance has been outstanding. You need not apologize for stating the obvious. Like the many legal immigrants I know personally, you abhor illegal immigration, the crime perpetrated by those who started out their journey in this nation with their first covert and illegal step across our border, and the disregard for our laws and our culture. You hate paying for anchor babies and the cost to our society. For that, never apologize. Just keep working and hammering away at the mountain of the problems caused by illegal immigrants with your pick axe.

No comments: