Thursday, June 17, 2010

Column for June 17, 2010

Over the years, I have been somewhat critical of Congressman Bob Etheridge. I have also endeavored to be fair and offer praise whenever praise is due. As of right now, I have zero praise for Congressman Etheridge other than to say "at least he offered an apology".

You have seen on the news or read in the newspapers that our very own Congressman Etheridge assaulted two students on a Washington, D.C. street last week. The college students were doing some sort of school project. When Congressman Etheridge walked by, they had their camcorder rolling and they simply asked him the question whether or not he is in support of President Barack Obama's policies. That was fair enough. Congressmen were asked about supporting Bush in years past.

Instead of politely stopping and asking who these students were and for what they were doing an impromptu interview, old Bob got hostile. He smacked around the videographer, grabbed the interviewer by the wrist and later by the back of the neck. He repeatedly asked them who they were, who they were with, and demanded to know their identities. Apparently if you see people with a video recorder and asking questions whom you do not know, that justifies assaulting them.

When Congressman Etheridge ran for his congressional post the first time, I interviewed him several times myself. He had a bad habit of not wanting to answer questions then, and he knew who I was and who employed me. He came to us wanting radio airtime and we gave it to him, but he dodged questions. He obviously wanted to dodge questions from strangers, as well. Two election cycles back, I offered old Bob an interview for my column as I did his opponent. He did not so much as pay me the respect of declining the offer. I have also extended unacknowledged offers for interviews on my internet radio show that I used to host regularly. Thus I know first hand what Bob Etheridge thinks about the press, about interviews, and about people with whom he does not want to be bothered.

I am trying to give Bob the benefit of the doubt on this one. I got to thinking that he is a very busy man. Maybe he had just gotten some bad news or maybe he just plain was having a bad day. Even if that was the case, that in no way justified assault. I saw the video of the incident several times. Perhaps the students could probably have handled the situation a bit better, but they were young and naive. I doubt highly, as has been speculated, that Congressman Etheridge was "set up" on this video encounter. I have concluded that his actions were inexcusable and just plain despicable.

Sure, Congressman Etheridge offered a formal statement reading in part, "I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction and I apologize to all involved. Throughout my many years of service to the people of North Carolina, I have always tried to treat people from all viewpoints with respect. No matter how intrusive and partisan our politics can become, this does not justify a poor response. I have and I will always work to promote a civil public discourse."

Sorry, Bob, but you have often failed in your attempt to treat people from all viewpoints with respect. I know too many people who have found that out first hand, especially others in the media. Furthermore, assaulting someone whose politics or viewpoints you have yet to even hear is purely partisan on your own part. Assaulting two people does not rate merely as a "poor response", it is criminal, despicable behavior.

Congressman Etheridge, I personally extend to you an offer for an interview with me, someone you have known by name and reputation for years. You know my family since my in-laws were neighbors of yours in Harnett County for years. You know the newspaper and blogs for which I have written for years, and I offer the chance to show the world you can have respect for people of all viewpoints. Let us have a civil public discourse together. I warn you though, if you ever try to manhandle me as you did those college students, I will ensure that you make use of the Congressional health care benefits package.

Yes, I have been critical of Congressman Etheridge for his lack of response to me as a constituent, member of the media, and for his leftist, progressive agenda. I have been hoping for years that he would be voted out of office for the benefit of the country. I had serious doubts that Renee Ellmers could beat Bob Etheridge in the upcoming election in November. Now I have a little hope that old Bob will be sent back to Lillington for good.



For fun:



More fun:



And for those who thought that Bob Etheridge was only rude to the public in the previous videos:

No comments: