Thursday, May 26, 2011

Column for May 26, 2011

It feels really weird typing right now. I just got back from my doctor’s office a little bit ago and my left middle finger is totally numb. I had an infection build up in my finger for some odd reason and went to my doctor to have it checked out. Well, I had to get my finger numbed with a shot and the abscess cut open. I was sent home with a Band-Aid and a prescription for an antibiotic. It just feels really weird banging on the keyboard and not being able to feel the keys below my finger. I keep having to go back and fix typos as I go along.

One neat thing I observed while driving back into town to go to my friendly neighborhood pharmacy in “Uptown” Selma was the sure sign of the beginning of summer in this sleepy little town. Just before Memorial Day, the town puts up American flags all up and down the main thoroughfares. I noticed it this past weekend, but got to enjoy the sight of fresh, crisp flags adorning the town yet again.

I have to admit, I love the sight of dozens of flags up and down Pollock Street and Anderson Street. The only down side is that we don’t put up the sort of poles and flag fasteners that are tangle free. Here is what I propose. I will be willing to sponsor a flag every year in Selma if other people and businesses are willing to do the same. I would love to see the flags continue flying, even in bad economic times. I would also like to see the flags fly freely without being bound up on a cheap little pole like I would use in front of my house.

I am not the sort who needs my name attached to a sponsorship of a flag. I am sure that there are others who would like the recognition. For instance, I am a member of The Friends of Fort Macon. They have a current fund raising drive to purchase some replica cannons for display there. Personally, I love Fort Macon and its historic value. That is why I got there at least once a year, patronize their gift shop, and joined their support organization. I don’t need my name on a plaque proclaiming my support of a cannon purchase. I am sure that is an enticement to others, so if that helps them, fine. I don’t need a Selma flag plaque or anything, but I am willing to bring about the idea and lead by example. OK, so my offer is now public for all to read. I hope to spur interest by others, as well in so doing.

Speaking of nice flags, it is probably time to replace both the American and State of North Carolina flags in front of Town Hall.

The longer it takes me to write my column, the more feeling is returning to my finger tip. After two and a half hours, I am glad to feel the keyboard. Taking off the Band-Aid helped some, as well, and my rate of typos has been cut down, though still not perfect. I am sure that tangent was of great interest to somebody, just probably nobody reading this.

On July 4th, Selma will put on a nice fireworks display, if all goes according to previous years’ tradition. I read that the town was looking for private donations and sponsorships for that display. So the flag idea is not entirely original. The town does well on displaying its joy of independence and pride in America. This is commendable.

Here is my hope, though. My hope is that residents and government officials at all levels would take the show of patriotism one step further. Take the time to learn more about the history of America, her values, and the truths that have buttressed this nation for a few hundred years. Get to know the sacrifice and morals that brought this country her independence and what makes her stand out from all of world history. Feel free to contact me for some recommended sources of great information.

My toddler, who is in my office, is grabbing my hand and pulling on it. I can definitely feel the pain killer wearing off and painful sensation return to my sliced open, infected finger. I guess it is time to stop typing and re-bandage my red, swollen digit. I think we have some cool Scooby Doo bandages somewhere. Hey, I have two young children at home.

God Bless America...and may he bless all Americans in the context of Acts 3:26.

No comments: