Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Column for June 2, 2011

I have a new hero. I am not familiar with all of his stances, but Stephen LaRoque, a member of the North Carolina State Legislator from the Kinston area, showed what I thought was courage and conviction. I have remarked in the past about how I consider the “Reverend” William Barber, the state President of the NAACP, to be nothing but a race pimp that exploits his own people for money and power.

The NAACP was recently planning a protest against proposed state budget cuts and proclaimed, "Tea Party extremists seized the Republican Party and declared war on African Americans, poor people and other minorities." I find this patently absurd. The budget cuts have nothing to do with race or financial class. Then again, maybe they do. It is because of the alleged poor that we have so much entitlement spending. It is because of minorities that illegally immigrate from other countries that we end up giving away tons of money in welfare, health care, child care, food assistance programs, and have an ever increasing cost of educating their children.

I applaud the courage of Stephen LaRoque for not taking allegations like that without fighting back. He wrote the NAACP and told them, "I have no interest in receiving anything from a racist such as William Barber. He and the NC NAACP represent everything that is wrong with race relations in our state and country. You should be ashamed of yourself for continuing to promote racism but that is the modern day legacy of the NAACP as a racist organization led by racist individuals who are cowards."

Groups like the NAACP have made themselves irrelevant. In particular, the NAACP has become nothing but a group of self-serving troublemakers. They have no real interest in ending racism. If they did, they would not find racism where it does not exist. In Wake County, the desire to return to community based schools has nothing to do with race; it is a matter of common sense and fiscal responsibility. Cutting state budget over spending has nothing to do with race; it is a matter of common sense and fiscal responsibility. When the NAACP “stirs the pot” and cry racism where none exists, it is obvious that it is just another effort to create perpetual anger and animosity so that people like William Barber (along with Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Benjamin Jealous) can still have a job. If there was no massive perceived racism, there would be no need for the NAACP and race pimps.

Don’t get me wrong, there is racism still alive and well. When I first moved to the South, I ran across racism quite a bit, much to my astonishment. See, where I grew up, everybody was White, for the most part. People were mostly of French, Polish, Italian, or Anglo extraction in that area. My best friend while growing up (and we still are good buddies) was a Pole with a long last name that ended in “ski”. I won’t type the whole name so I don’t flip out my spell checker. The only Black kid in school had a last name of White (I am not joking, really) and was adopted by White parents. We told jokes about everybody, including ourselves. I grew up in a very French family and we told Frenchman jokes all the time. We had Black jokes, Jewish jokes, Polish jokes, and well, you get the idea. We all had a sense of humor and were equal opportunity offenders.

Coming from New England, I had always heard about racism in The South. I sure ran across it in a major way after moving here. And for certain, racism is not just one way. There are racists and racism in every ethnic group. I got a lot of racism from Black folks and I saw a lot of White folks exercise their racist attitudes and actions, as well. Regardless from which direction it came, it was wrong. I can honestly say that I understand it, but do not excuse it.

Just because the “Reverend” William Barber (who should spend more time preaching the gospel of Christ rather than the gospel of social justice that he peddles) is Black, that does not mean that he can not be just as racist as any Klansman. They just wear different style robes.

Personally, I am sick and tired of claims of racism where none exist. To me, it is only common sense to stop spending money we don’t have, to have children attend public schools local to them, and that not every decision made by men has racist undertones. But then again, if everyone thought that way, the NAACP would be out of business.

No comments: