Thursday, May 10, 2007

Column for May 10, 2007

Selma: A Curious Place to Be

Of all the towns I could have picked to live in, I sure did choose an interesting town. There never seems to be a shortage of things with which to keep my curiosity going. This year looks like it is shaping up to be one of interest to "A Charming Place to Be" unlike I have seen in years.

By the time that this column is published, we will most likely have found out that the bond issue that was on Tuesday's ballot passed. I have already voiced and written my opinion on that bond here and on the internet, and will have voted accordingly.

Another news item that you read about last week and will have happened already is the formal resignation of Selma Town Councilman, Jeff Weaver. I wish to publicly share a sentiment that I shared privately with Jeff. I do this because he deserves it, and I wish to give honor to whom honor is due.

There were some tough decisions that needed to be taken over the past year plus in this town. Jeff was one Councilman who took a hard stand on some unpopular positions. I was pleasantly surprised to see him express some contrarian opinions rather than be servile and mute. Regardless of whether I agreed with him or not on his decisions, he took them and stood by them. I am thankful for his service to the town as such.

This is something that I look for in an elected representative. I certainly hope that this is the same sort of mentality that the whole Council will use in deciding who, if anybody, will replace Mr. Weaver for the remainder of his term.

One thing I am going to be looking for in our Council is whether or not they find a spine and decide to fight the ACLU over the issue of public prayer rather than remain obsequious. I was dismayed at the policy adopted by the Council in closed session that "the town will remove prayer from its agenda and it will not be part of public business."

As of this writing, a poll on The Selma News' web site is 25 to 1 in favor of keeping prayer as part of the town meetings. Instead of adopting the policy of waiting to see what the outcome will be with other towns or counties as they fight the ACLU, the town leaders need to find a spine, exercise the faith that they proclaim in their own lives, and not allow a Communist (yes, they were literally founded for the expressed purpose of spreading Communist principles. Contact me for more information) organization to dictate how we conduct business in our town. The ACLU does not live in this town, has no vested interest in our town's affairs, and should not be allowed to decide our destiny as Selmites.

By the way, I have often wondered what the proper term is for residents of Selma. There are Smithfielders, Princetonians, Johnstonians, and Apeckers in the region. I guess Selmites works for me. If anyone has a better term, please let it be known.

A few other items of interest to many in town are the annexation plans that have passed a Council vote, the soon to expire reprieve on condemnation plans for homes that are substandard, and the public nuisance law suits filed against two convenience stores in town. It looks like the town may be up against some legal action, whether it is action taken by the town or against it.

The amazing thing about the willingness to move forward with legal issues and the expense thereof is that the Council has voted to knuckle under to ACLU pressure when its legal expenses would most likely be underwritten by groups like The Alliance Defense Fund, just as in Forsyth County.

I find it hypocritical to not take a fight with no financial consequence but the potential to preserve autonomy, yet continue with efforts that will cost the town tax dollars. I am not debating the merits of those aforementioned actions, just comparing them to the ACLU situation.

One thing for certain, the Town of Selma, "A Charming Place to Be", is certainly becoming "A Curious Place to Be", and I get to live in the middle of it.

No comments: